Here’s a look at some 1920s-inspired clothing for men, via this Catherine Martin-Brooks Brothers collaboration for The Great Gatsby menswear…
About 1920s menswear:
- As with any period in history, fashions progressed so there are a variety of styles to look out for so it can be best to refer to photos to get the combinations right. See the various photo galleries listed in our summary of all things Gatsby and 1920s, including our look at Art Deco poster illustrations.
- Think preppy accessories such as straw boater hats, Panamas, Fedoras, Trilby and newsboy caps, ties, tie pins and bow ties, cuff links, handkerchief in top pocket, and smart shoes, including patent leather, Oxfords and two-tone spats.
- Three-piece suits in a slim cut: jacket, vest and high-waisted trousers with a sharp front seem, with monogrammed shirts, button-down collars, French cuffs.
- For casual wear, sweaters, sweater vests and short-legged pants.
- When considering patterns, think about the art, architecture and interior design of the period, eg. Art Deco embraced diagonal strips or geometric shapes – see these posts for more: Beaux Arts and Art Deco architecture, the houses and set design from The Great Gatsby, and Gatsby interior style.
- See this Wikipedia summary about men’s clothing in the 1920s here.
Watch the video of menswear costumes from the 2013 Bah Luhrmann production of The Great Gatby (some luscious film sets too!) as well as Catherine Martin talking about the collaboration with Brooks Brothers:
More fashion inspiration:
Go shopping for women’s fashion inspired by the 1920s here:
- SHOPPING: Inspired by The Great Gatsby
- SHOPPING: Where to buy fashion inspired by the 1920s – part 1
- SHOPPING: Fashion inspired by the 1920s – part 2
- FOOT FETISH: Bionda Castana “Zelda” patent buckle brogue
- LUST-HAVE: Elie Saab vintage-inspired clutch bags
- WISHLIST: Glamorous clutch bags
- WISHLIST: Funtasma by Pleaser Women’s Contessa 1920s-style shoes
More from Hackett London:
And catch up on all our Gatsby and 1920s posts via this summary.